Job Title: Statistician (Short-Term Consultant)
Duration: Three (3) months, 4-8 hours per month
IDinsight is a mission-driven global advisory, data analytics, and research organization that helps global development leaders maximize their social impact. We tailor a wide range of data and evidence tools, including randomized evaluations and machine learning, to help decision-makers design effective programs and rigorously test what works to support communities.
Data on Demand (DoD) is an IDinsight initiative that empowers social sector partners to improve decision-making and impact by providing high-quality, timely, and representative survey data. DoD was established in IDinsight’s India office in 2018. Since then, DoD innovations have enabled our team to conduct nationwide surveys in India at unprecedented scale and speed.
DoD is expanding in the Philippines through two (2) nationwide surveys commissioned by the Department of Health:
- The Health Promotion and Literacy Longitudinal Study (HPLS) is a 5-year longitudinal panel survey that aims to monitor trends in health literacy and knowledge, attitudes, and practices across seven (7) priority healthy behaviors. The data collected through the survey will inform DOH’s priorities for health promotion and intervention, and track progress at a national level as these policies are implemented.
- The Universal Health Care Household Survey is an annual household survey mandated under the UHC Law. The main objective of the survey is to measure and gain insights on how Filipinos are experiencing the UHC rollout for the first ten (10) years of its implementation. IDinsight is working with the DOH to develop the research methodology, survey instrument, and data collection plan and to pilot the first round of data collection.
Data on Demand is seeking a Statistician to support the DOH Universal Health Care Household Survey.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Statistician will be responsible for ensuring the statistical and methodological quality of the Data on Demand projects’ sampling approach. The Statistician’s role will include the following activities:
- Develop sampling strategies for household-based surveys and health facility surveys
- Provide technical assistance in sampling frame construction, sample design, sample size determination, stratification, sample selection, and weighting
- Calculate sampling weights for survey data and calculating sampling errors
- Develop estimation methods for selected indicators
- Explore and implement innovative sampling methods to accommodate new survey methodologies
- Provide statistical advice to project team as needed
The engagement will last approximately three (3) months from December 2022 to February 2023.
- Advance degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, demographics, population studies, survey methodology, economics, econometrics, political science, public policy, public health, sociology, anthropology or other applied fields.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience, including designing and managing surveys, quantitative analysis, and field research
- Outstanding quantitative and critical thinking skills
- Significant experience with either Stata or R required. Experience with additional programming languages is a plus.
- Deep contextual knowledge and experience in the Philippines